The problem is that the files have all their line breaks hard coded, instead of just paragraph breaks. This messes up the output from a PDA e-book reader (my Nintendo DS, actually) or from the printer. I did a quick search for small scripts to do this, but couldn't find any so I wrote my own.
The program takes an input filename and an output filename. This adds a bit more to the code, but this way, I can use it in a batch program that will loop across several files for conversion.
if len(sys.argv) < 2:
print "Oops, need a filename to open."
elif len(sys.argv) < 3:
print "Oops, need a filename to write to."
if line == "":
Of course, if anyone has something shorter out there, I wouldn't mind using that instead.